Thursday, October 21, 2010

FW: Update on Dennis Steffy (spinal injury @ Sydney Golden Oldies)

Just a reminder that these things do happen tp Old Boys. I hope he was insured. Pass this along please.
Mike J


From: Dan Santoro [mailto:rugbydan@bellsouth.net]
Sent: October 21, 2010 12:34 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Update on Dennis Steffy (spinal injury @ Sydney Golden Oldies)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Update: Dennis Steffy
From: Stephen D. Cohen <sdcohen4@mindspring.com>


To the MARS Sydney Team and Other Concerned Friends:

Hope everyone has made it home safely from the Golden Oldies Festival and other side trips and doing their best to return to a normal life. Like me, I am sure, it is not quite normal...as our comrade Denny Steffy remains in the Acute Spinal Ward at the Prince of Wales Hospital.

Tim Kauffman - who is friend of Denny's in Lancaster (PA)  and also a physical therapist - has been in touch with Denny regularly as well as with the hospital. Denny has appointed Tim as his "legal contact" for updates from the hospital on his condition.

First off, Denny's 60th birthday is Oct. 22. It would be great if everyone sent him birthday card/wishes via email or mail.

You can send an email to him via Kate Lindberg (Social Worker) at: Kate.Lindberg@SESIAHS.HEALTH.NSW.GOV.AU or send a card to him as follows:

Prince of Wales Public Hospital
Barker Street
Randwick, New South Wales 2031
Australia
Attn: Dennis Steffy, Patient, Acute Spinal Ward

Tim and I are in touch regularly and I will pass along updates from Tim accordingly. Currently, I am only sending updates to our Sydney team and others who are fully aware of what happened to Denny and have shown concern (and whose email addresses I have*).  Once he returns home and the financial impact of this accident including subsequent is more fully understood, I will be issuing information on how people can help out.

* If anyone wants me to add an email address to the list you see...please let me know.

Tim spoke with Denny on Sunday night and advised:
"His spirits are good. He rode a bike in PT on Monday I do not know how much assistance he needed. He said he can hold the phone in his left hand a little. He also asked that his physio contact me which she did. She said that Denny is working on a transfer from bed to wheelchair – I assume. He heeds 2 people to assist him. Denny told me that the rehab folks had him upright on a tilt board. These are all promising."

Tim also advised me that Denny's spinal cord was not completely severed which is good. He has feeling and movement in both legs and both arms. Too soon to tell what this all means.

I spoke with him twice before we left Australia last Wednesday. His spirit to get through this difficult challenge is strong. He appreciates the care and concern he's been getting from many people who he doesn't know. A number of local Sydney rugby people have been visiting him regularly including Allan Forno, the Festival Director.

His friend Gary Creamer (Lancaster) will fly out to be with him about a week or so before he is permitted to return to the US for further care. When and how this will happen is not yet known.

I would like to extend the thanks and appreciation to all of you that have been there for Denny these past 3 weeks.

With you.

Steve
609-714-2203



I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter.
SPAMfighter has removed 139 of my spam emails to date.

Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!

No comments:

Post a Comment